Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Best dark chocolate mud cake

My family is a true chocoholic and we immensely love thick chocolate taste. Definitely, dark chocolate mud cake can't eschew from my 'to-do' list.


 At the first place, I was anticipated for the outcome and overwhelmed with hope that my recipe will come out to be a success. After perceiving the progression of the baking, my hopes dwindled. The cake just didn't seem to work out the way which I wanted.


I was about to sloppily and casually release the cake from the pan, and as it was released, the surface of the cake cracked.


I was surprised that the inner was so thick and 'muddy' which was the exact result that I want!
What a revelation!

This is what we called, "never judge a book by its cover" and I'll name my cake as 'insidious dark chocolate mud cake', haha!


Recipe


  • 200g dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup + 4 tbsp castor sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/4 cup cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

  1. Preheat oven to 160C.
  2. Melt butter and chocolate over a double-boiler or microwave for 2 mins at medium heat.
  3. Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl. Beat till the mixture is thick and pale in colour.
  4. Fold the chocolate mixture into the yolk mixture, combine well.
  5. Sift in flour, baking powder and cocoa powder to the chocolate mixture. Incorporate the dry ingredients well, but do not overmix!
  6. Beat egg white with cream of tartar till frothy. Add in 4 tbsp of sugar and whisk till stiff peaks.
  7. Gently, fold in the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
  8. Pour batter into a 6" cake pan and bake for 55 mins. The skewer is not too cleaned after insertion, and it supposes to work that way.

'Cracky' surface




With chocolate glazing


Crunchy on the top and muddy on the inner!

***Loves***



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails