Friday, June 18, 2010

A Happy Fathers' Day cake for Daddy!

Fathers' day is around the corner, which in the case for Singapore is 2 more days.
There I was, contriving of what I can give to my dad and it's gonna be something that had significant meaning and I'm adept at.


Hmmm... after much cogitation... it will be durian cake!
My dad simply loves durians and I'm inherited these distinctive gustatory sensation after him.


I'm not sure whether my luck was running out from a lucky day yesterday, that I'm extremely hapless today. Nothing seemed to work out my way... :(



Firstly, my whole untightened bottle of whipping cream toppled out from the fridge and spilled all over the floor and the fridge. I was chided by my mum to scour every corner clean.
As those who bake often, whipping cream is very oily as it contains fats and there was no way to refurbish without detergent.


I was a little fortunate to left some for my durian filling, but as for my decoration with whipping cream on the surface of the cake was laid bare.


Secondly, my EP-1 function was set to default which was not directed to IS (image stabiliser). Thus, most of my image went blurry.


To my disappointment, this cake looked.....




I used half of the durian filling to glaze the cake, and after sift the surface of the cake with confectioner's sugar.

Step-by-step

Vanilla Sponge Cake
Sift cake flour, salt, baking powder and milk powder together.

Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and beat the yolks with sugar till light and fluffy.

Add in oil, water and vanilla to the egg yolk mixture.

Fold in the dry inngredients

Fold in stiff peak whites into the wet ingredients


Bake at 175C for 35-40 mins



Durian Filling
Remove the flesh from the durian

Skimmed off the 'leftover' flesh on the seeds

Pour in the whipping cream and mix.


Cut the cake horizontally into half and spread the durian filling.


That's all for now. Wish all  fathers- A happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails