Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Steamed moist chocolate cake

I'd came across many recipe that expounded on using steam to make a cake, and propitiously, I'm on the mid-track of steaming chee cheong fun for my brothers.

I was thinking, "I can subsequently derive the boiling water for my steam cake after making chee cheong fun for them".


I began searching through my stack of recipes for steamed chocolate cake and there I found it, but with no indication of the original source.
I took it as a risk, to create my own proportions and steps, omitting certain ingredients.
My intuition did not fail me, the cake turned out to have the right texture and taste!



Recipe (make 16cm cake)


  • 100ml low-fat milk (or evaporated milk)
  • 80g butter, softened
  • 95g castor sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 70g cake flour or plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence


  1. Combine milk, sugar and butter and heat it in a microwave at medium heat till the mixture become smooth.
  2. Let the mixture cool, and crack in egg. Add in vanilla essence.
  3. Sift cake flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
  4. Add flour mixture into the egg mixture, mix till well-incorporated.
  5. Boil water at medium heat.
  6. Grease and line a 16cm cake pan and pour in cake batter. Cover the top of the pan with a aluminium foil.
  7. Steam for 40mins or the skewer comes out clean.

Fresh in the cake pan

With chocolate ganache to cover the hideous bubbles


I have to admire my fortitude and endurance to make a cake despite one day sleepless and languorous night due to the trip from Ipoh back to Singapore. I didn't sleep a wink!

School starting in less than 2 weeks, gonna make full use of the remaining time to accompany my mum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails